Monday, 22 March 2010

Sunday wanderings...



A beautiful spring day led me to a pre-match mooch towards Brick Lane in search for salt beef beigels and bits of crafty/ arty inspiration at the Sunday markets.



Friends tell me the quality of the markets has deteriorated over the recent years, I was a little disappointed with the rows of identikit stalls and over-priced second hand clothes, but there were still some pockets of ideas



With a overwhelming love of Americiana my eye was drawn to these fine figures of men, on a cushion cover made from reclaimed materials.




I was also intrigued by this bit of graffiti I spotted in several locations, what is the significance of the enlightened cyclist?

4 comments:

Alex said...

That fabric is so kitsch it's wonderful!

No idea about the graffiti but if you find out, do let us know.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Enlightened or exploding cyclist? I agree, Brick Lane has lost a lot of its charme in the last few years.

Jen said...

I've never visited Brick Lane - such a shame it's deteriorating. I wonder what the cyclist is all about? Intriguing!

Jennie said...

I used to be a frequent visitor to both Camden market & Brick Lane when we first moved to London in 1997 but sadly like so many other places formerly bustling breeding grounds of sovereign style & creativity, I feel that they’ve been captured & stained by the sticky fingers of big business and as such have lost their edge & distinctive character, that made them all the rage in the first place.
I wonder if it is indeed impossible for a place to remain unhomogenized as it gains in recognition or maybe this is just the predestined outcome?
I really lament how Camden has embraced the likes of American Apparel & H&M as this was once an island of individuality where one could escape to get away from all that corporate rubbish.
I do love the saucy cushion covers though, very Tom of Finland.
...xXx

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...