Monday, 5 April 2010

From Reculver with Love



More seaside adventures, this time to Reculver on the north coast of Kent. Reculver is best know for its towers, what remains of the parish church, abandoned to the sea but the towers were retained as a navigational aid. They now stand almost as a lone facade of what was once there.



Easter weekend is when UK holiday resorts start to wake up after the winter, Reculver's traditional 'kiss-me-quick' seaside offer was starting to wake up from hibernation.



Next stop was Whitstable which, despite its gentrification, is still home to a working harbour and fishing fleet.

Whitstable is probably most famous for its oysters. The local oyster company is trying to keep the oyster farming (or fishing?) in the area sustainable, by reestablishing oyster beds from restaurant discarded oyster shells



All this sea air makes me hungry.



1 comment:

Alex said...

That's a good sized icecream!

I love your day trip photos and stories :) If I'm ever down that far South I'm definitely going to explore some of these lovely places.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...