Friday, 20 May 2011

Inspiration: Anna Denise

Hooray, we're on the mend here in Firebird towers. Thank you so much for all the very kind messages. Will hopefully be up and running to enjoy the last day of our football season on Sunday (which is a very important event in this house, I'm sure you understand!)

I'm spending today catching up on my Uni work. I am so pleased you liked yesterday's Anna Prager photography - you could look at them from one point of view of distorting context and being a fabrication - I think there was something glamourous, frivilous and just plain fantastic, but still with a great degree of depth, about them. And I think there is a lot of room for taking some pleasure from the 'unreal' in this world.

Today's dose of inspiration is very different and is someone reflecting on their day to day reality, but in a very individual way. When I first saw pictures of Anna Denise's art journals I was completely blown away, her illustrated Moleskine journal pages are just beautiful....

Aren't they wonderful? The illustrations are amazing but I also love the use of other media and things she has collected that reflect what has been going on in her life.

You can see more of Anna Denise's journals on Flickr and on her blog she gives a tutorial and shares some wonderful tips for starting your own art journal. I really want to give something like this a go in the future - it seems a wonderful way to document life and create a fantastic keepsake for the future.

(If I spotted Anna Denise's work on your blog recently, please let me know because I would love to give you a shout out. I'm afraid it has complete escaped me where I first saw these)

Do you keep a diary or journal? How do you document life's little adventures?

4 comments:

char said...

i love these. I have an a5 day to page diary which i use as my day to day planner, and also fill with things like cimena or gig tickets which i stick in, and memories of things i have done, although i have to say i have let it get a bit boring recently..i love this idea though. i used to write in a diary every day when i was younger, and i sort of miss it, although i suppose that blogging has taken over that..

Alex said...

I keep a diary and have done for a few years now but I'm well aware that because I write it before bed when I'm usually knackered, it's never my most interesting writing. It seems to be a paragraph about work, then what I did in the evening, along with general moans or exciting things (more the former than the latter).

I have no artistic talent whatsoever so it's never going to look anything like those beautiful journal pages. The closest thing I've ever produced to art in it was when I fell asleep in the middle of writing it and a huge ink blot formed on several pages.

Vix said...

What fabulous illustrations, they'd make even the most mundane of lives seem exciting. What a talent.
I only keep a diary when I'm travelling. It's hard enough to squeeze a blog into my daily routine! xxx

Katie said...

I love Anna Denise's work :) I really love keeping an art journal, I think it's a great thing to do, I really urge everyone to do it! xoxo

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...