With thanks to Rach for indulging this ageing old rocker, here is my contribution to the "Festival Fever" page.
I'm going to start by saying that I don't actually like festivals very much - if at all! This obviously goes against the grain of Rach's blog, but it seems to me that festivals these days are more about the corporate opportunities and celeb-spotting that goes on, rather than the music.
For events like V etc, there's no access to the bands, unless you want to give up half a day protecting your space you won't get near the main stage and yet people pay horrific ticket and camping prices for it still. I realise that it's a right of passage for youngsters these days but, in a nod to Rach's mum's excellent contribution, nothing historic or ground-breaking happens at festivals these days. It mystifies me why they are so popular.
Don't get me wrong, I love live music and I like a good time, but I guess I'm a bit too long in the tooth and too "comfortable" to enjoy camping and the mudfests that e.g. Glasto is famous for. Nevertheless, there are still events I do like to go to (as long as there's a nice hotel room nearby!). Introducing.....THE BULLDOG BASH.
This is an event that is now in its 25th year. It was started by the Hell's Angels and despite the advancement of corporatism and the opposition of the local police, it remains an event staunchly for bikers. My (and the Angels') favourite band - Motorhead - are regulars there, and this year the bill is topped by Status Quo and The Damned. Clearly not the Ting Tings, Girls Aloud (although I think they'd be welcome!), Take That or any of that other "poppy" or X-Factor rubbish that dominates the airwaves these days, but good old-fashioned British rock music. You'll also get drag racing, a custom bike show, probably a wet t-shirt/mud wrestling competition or two for the ladies, lots of beer and good times.
Which kinda makes me question why I haven't booked my tickets yet!

5 comments:
The V Festival is the worst travesty known to man. I used to go there simply as it was held virtually on my doorstep but nowadays rather drive 4 hours to mid-wales and do the Greenman instead.
The Bulldog bash is in our neck of the woods but sadly clashes with CamperJam. x
Sounds good, I don't really do any festivals due to the cost, I usually go to individual concerts instead. Status Quo are in Greenwich Park this year, still deciding whether to go or not!
It sounds much more interesting and fun than the big festivals. V etc sound hideous.
I'm finding myself wanting to go to a festival before I'm 30 but it would have to one that was interesting and small. No idea where to start looking though.
The big festivals are overwhelming. I like the smaller ones in NZ. Nothing can beat being outside with an an amazing band playing at night.
Alex, re smaller festivals, may I recommend the excellent Guilfest in (strangely enough) Guildford. A real mix of music, comedy tent, very relaxed atmosphere and normally good weather. Limited to a 25k crowd.
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/guilfest/2011/
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...