Wednesday, 6 July 2011

The Firebird Guide to Popping Your Vintage Cherry


The other day someone asked me what the first vintage item I ever wore or bought was and I honestly can't remember. As a child I always loved dressing up in my Mum's fabulous clothes. Then I started supplementing my wardrobe with items found in charity shops as a teenager, firstly out of desperation for something different – the retail choices were rather limited in North Essex. When I was 13 I found a pair of 1970s flared Levis that had belonged to Dad and wore them in to the ground, beyond the point they got holes. I think the first vintage boutique I ever went to was in Cambridge, aged 16, and I bought a long red crochet cardigan. I later wore it with a floral skirt and stripey tights to watch the Brand New Heavies. I thought I was the bomb...

Luckily, with age and some experimenting, I have settled with a style I am comfortable with – a mixture of vintage, secondhand and high street classic separates. I often think people fear trying vintage because they are intimidated by many vintage shops (come on, we know there are a lot of snotty ones out there) or worried about getting it wrong by mixing eras. In my world this is all daft, vintage is nothing to be afraid of. In fact once you start you'll find the most amazing array of unique, beautiful and fascinating clothing. Sustainable too. And I guarantee you'll find something for you, no matter what your personal style.
So lets throw any preconceived ideas about vintage out the window and get rummaging...

The first lesson I learnt when buying vintage (though I think this should also apply to all clothes shopping) is to ignore that little number on the label. Due to diets and the contraceptive pill, our bodies have changed shape over the last couple of decades, which means a vintage size 12 is now often more akin to a modern day 8-10. But don't be downheartened – ignore that number. Always. 

The best thing to do is to measure your own clothes, lie them flat (this is how a lot of online vintage sellers take their measurements) and measure the shoulders, the bust (about where your nipples would be), the smallest part of the waist and the hips. Use items of clothing that aren't reliant on lycra. Hang these clothes up on the front of your wardrobe and get used to the size and shape of your clothing. Now if you spot a bargain in a charity shop you won't have to rely on the label and will know by sight if it might be for you or not. 

Ignore the number on the label! Really, it is irrelevant. Are you still ignoring it? Then we'll continue...

The second thing that I think will open up a whole new world of vintage to you is if you can fix a few flaws. 

By it's very nature (ie. Being old) most vintage is imperfect. 90% of it has been worn before which means it has been subjected to daily wear and tear. And perfect unworn vintage is expensive. You will save a fortune if you can do some simple clothing maintenance like fixing a hem, darning a hole and replacing buttons. 

Not only will you be able to pick up beautiful preloved items for next to nothing, but you will also be able to give everything in your wardrobe a longer lease of life. A win/ win no?


I'm going to upset my purist friends here but I am a great believer that if you love something then you should wear it how you like. 

Don't be intimidated by anything because it is a certain era. I like to mix maxi dresses with a denim or leather jacket to toughen them up a bit, a funky 70s shirt can look great with a pencil skirt, turn a sun dress in to something for winter by putting a long sleeved top and leggings underneath... 

The point I am trying to make is just because you like the look of that tea dress doesn't mean you need to learn how to do victory rolls. You want to go for the complete land girl look then great. If you want to wear it over a pair of jeans that is absolutely fine too. These are your clothes, not some costume for a period drama.

If you are curvy like me, a lot of vintage can be a little intimidating because the fabrics don't have the same stretch and give we are used to today. You might find a cute dress that is a stunning fabric but because of the way it is cut, if you are heavy on top, it is likely to make you look about seven months pregnant. This is where the belt is your friend. I have a whole collection of them: wide leather ones, elasticated waisted belts, chain belts, though my favourite is just a simple plaited belt that I seem to wear at least three times a week. 

Take that sack-like dress and belt it in the middle. Suddenly it is much cuter, no? You could even try belting with scarves or wide ribbons. Don't dismiss things because they might not instantly look fitted. With belts as your allies your vintage world has opened up even more.

Still not sure about the clothes, why not think about bags, bracelets, brooches, necklaces? So many modern trends are inspired by vintage looks so good vintage accessories never really go out of fashion. 

If you really don't know where to start buy a scarf first, a square silk type one. You can probably get a really pretty one from a local charity shop for under the price of a cup of coffee. Then tie it to the strap of your handbag – it may be from the high street but now it is different to everyone elses. Another day take the same scarf and fold it up and use it as a cute neck scarf. Or as a hair band. 

You're wearing vintage. Now that wasn't so scary after all was it?

This guide is meant to be fun, because that's what clothes should be. 

So take a chance on something vintage and try it out. It doesn't have to break the bank and there are no rules that you need to follow. If you have got this far reading this then I can guarantee that you are going to like it... x

7 comments:

Lucy in the Clouds said...

Brilliant brilliant inspiring post! Some people can be so sniffy about clothes, both high end labels AND charity shop bargains. But you're right, they're OUR clothes, let's reclaim them! :D xxx

Vix said...

Absolutely excellent stuff and a gripping read, well done.
Nothing to add that you haven't already said. xxx

Sharon said...

Hi my dear-what a really fabulous post and I so agree with your points, especially mixing eras and not worrying about flaws-it makes the item more wearable and less 'precious'. Your photos are really great, i so enjoyed reading this !! xx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Love this post and I absolutely agree, spot on! I usually mix my vintage with modern and that's how I like it, and I certainly ignore labels - even on the high street. I've got everything from an 8 to a 16 still being worn in my wardrobe.

I tagged you for an award/list thingie on my blog, come see! x

http://faithhopeandcharityshopping.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-10-tagged.html

doradadama said...

Great info amor, love all your outfits ideas.

essemm said...

go girl...you are soooo right....had flashbacks of my teenage days when I felt so cool when I wore black tights with my most favourite jeans which had been cut down to shorts...then married with a flannelette shirt and the all important ugg boots...knee high of course...guess what??.. its all come around again...my Mum still shudders and laughs at the sight...but she was my inspiation...army boots worn with a flary gypsy style skirt!!!...go thrift or vintage it's fun...

Kitty said...

Wow what a great post!

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...