Just a little taster of the many photos I took when we went to Moscow in January. I love visiting Russia. I'm not sure if it is the difference in our countries' political history, or that - unlike most European countries - I need a visa to get in, or just something as simple as the different alphabet. But Russia completely removes me from my comfort zone and make me feel like I am somewhere very different.
Moscow on the surface seems very hard and very very cold (both figuratively and literally, temperatures reached -25degree centigrade while we were there!) but it is really worth persevering and exploring. It is very beautiful, especially in the snow, and possibly one of the most culturally rich cities I have ever been lucky enough to go to. Wrap up warm and fortify yourself with some strong coffee (and some even stronger vodka) and Moscow in the winter can be very rewarding.
You can see all my Moscow photos on Flickr xx









7 comments:
I loved Moscow when I went many years ago. One of my best friends lives there so I really should try and visit again. I think I would have found it very daunting getting around without her help - and it is very useful to have a local when buying things - I just remained silent so they wouldn't know I was a tourist, there was very much a 2 tier price system when I went.
Sadly my visit was in the days of 'proper' film cameras, and somehow all my photographs got wiped.
I studied Russian for a year and all I can remember is my bed is warm, which might lead to all manner of odd situations! Your pictures look fab. Goa is full of Russians, they are lovely but have the worst taste in music. x
The two tier price system just seemed to still exist in Moscow for entrance to museums and galleries. Fortunately I have an ISIC student card, so I got the lower entrance prices. I think the most daunting thing is the language/ alphabet - I'd love to learn Russian to get by a little better
Ha, I just read your comment sitting in our garden while cursing silently at the music our eastern european neighbour is playing :) Like I said to Lakota - I'd love to learn Russian. How much did you manage in a year?
I've never been to Russia, but it's high on my list of places to visit. There's really something great to be said about being completely removed from your comfort zone.
It looks far too cold for me to enjoy! My husband has been there and said all the food is covered in dill. Neither of these thing come high on my list of enjoyable holiday treats!
It does look beautiful though. I always laugh at Americans and Aussies (sorry) when I'm somewhere like that, they never seek to cope with how old the buildings are.
Caroline
xxx
Ha, that reminds me of a story about being on a coach through Lithuania which smelt overwhelmingly of dill. Another time maybe...
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...