Thursday, 15 March 2012

You could put something really great here?


I’ve been fascinated with guerrilla craft and craftivism (craft used for activism) for a while now. I like the way it can make people think, how it can prompt conversation. But I also like how it can be used to reclaim the human environment, so full of adverts and the constant bombardment of corporate images, yet being softer than more common street art. A little bit more incongruous.

This was my first mini-protest banner, made from a kit bought from the Craftivist Collective. The area outside of Reading train station is full of empty offices and a poorly designed 1960s arcade and bus station. It is run down and deemed beyond repair. Recently development consultants, employed by the local council, have put together a master planning vision to redevelop the area – to demolish the existing buildings and build flats, offices and shops. Completely uninspiring and a development that appears to not respond to any community needs. This is a town full of empty offices, full of empty shops, full of housing that people can not afford. A problem that isn’t going to be resolved by building more market flats.

Frustrated with the planning processes for the town where I live, my protest banner is a message to ask people to think about what else can be done to regenerate towns. I also hoped it might make someone think about the space around them and what it could be, not just what property developers think it should be… You could put something really great here?

This was my first piece of craftivism/ guerrilla craft. But it probably won’t be my last. I love the way working on it focused my mind, I found it a bit of a release. And, just between you and me, I loved putting it up and reclaiming my little bit of my town.

(I originally published this on a new blog - but I have since decided to 'come home)

4 comments:

Helga said...

Craftivism! That's fantastic! I love it,and how very valid a point.We're faced with a similar thing here in Christchurch,after the earthquake damage....a lot has been cleared,but there are still a lot of buildings to be demolished,and what will we get in their place? They could put somehting really great!Or,something mediocre.....we'll see.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I love that! Would definitely have struck a chord with me if I'd seen it. I do wonder what kind of people sit on council planning boards sometimes. The stuff that gets OK'd, or ignored round here is ridiculous.

I was wondering where you'd been - have you decided against the new blog?

***To those I follow and who follow me - is my blog appearing on your dashboard? Blogger appears to be losing some blogs I follow!**

Vix said...

What a sweet sign of rebellion. I hope the powers that be take note. x

Anonymous said...

This is fab, something I'm sure every town and city in the UK can identify with.

Glad to see you back Rach, welcome home :)

Heather xx

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...