Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Yarnbombing

a 'yarn bombed' street light outside Gorky Park in Moscow




I'm a bit obsessed with yarn bombing at the moment. A bit like my cross stitch protest banner, it feels like a fun but also crafty bit of rebellion. As the wonderful Streetcolor Art says,  

"some think that yarnbombing is just silly and it is fun but it is also full of soul . Our cities belong to us'


 I saw quite a few of these street lights, wrapped up in little knitted coats, around Gorky Park when we went to Moscow.  They seemed really incongruous, mainly because I had a (unrealistic) vision in my head of the bureaucracy of Russia never allowing anything like this. But they were also really gorgeous against the backdrop of the snow...

This rather refined gentleman had been given a little woollen beanie to keep him warm in the freezing temperatures.

I'm going to have keep my eyes open for any more yarn bombs on my travels. Maybe I'll have to try a little bit myself and add some much need colour to my suburban surroundings? After all, like Streetcolour says, our towns and cities do really belong to us...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to see yarnbombs in Russia ! How terrific ! streetcolor

Rachel - Firebird said...

Fantastic isn't it? They looked wonderful amongst the snow. I love your blog, by the way, it is very inspiring.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...