Some times you just need to get away, jump on a train and explore somewhere new. I'd only ever been to Manchester before for football matches so it was brilliant to spend some time wandering around the city. It's a really beautiful city, the difference between the Victorian industrial heritage and its modern renaissance is really striking. I'm a little bit smitten.
My favourites:
- Imperial War Museum North - an astonishing modern building on Salford Quays and a focus on people and their stories. Make sure you spend enough time there to take in a couple of the 'Big Picture' projections that fill the whole exhibiton space. Possibly the best museum I have ever been to.
- 57 Thomas Street and Marble beers - fabulous micro-brewed beers and an extraordinary cheese list.
- Drinks in the sunshine on the canal side patio at Dukes 92.
- Possibly the best veggie sunday lunch ever at Trof.
Just a couple of hours on the train and I have discovered new places that I find really exciting. I need to explore more of my own country.
What's your favourite UK city?
Ps. Congratulations Manchester City, the rare Mancunian blue skies in these photos must have been an omen...







2 comments:
I don't know Manchester half as well as I should, given that half my family live there - I mainly visited my gran as a child, so don't know all the adult haunts. I've only been once, but just fell in love with Edinburgh - such a beautiful and friendly city.
x
***Ta-dah! Tuesday tomorrow - link up your amazing makes, fabulous finds and outrageous outfits!***
It's been years since I went to Manchester (other than the airport) but it's a fabulously vibrant city full of great industrial architecture and cool bars. I've heard some of the bands from there were quite good a few years ago. xxx
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...