Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Festival Fever: Vix's Rough Guide to Packing for a Music Festival // Guest Post from Vintage Vixen

In the run up to the great British festival season you'll find a festival fashion feature in most magazines, which is all well and good but do you really want to be one of a hundred other revellers wearing "that" TopShop playsuit or New Look tea dress?

We vintage-loving party animals prefer a wilder, more ecclectic mix of second-hand and customised clobber, after all it's a festival not a fashion show.



Here's what I'm packing for Glastonbury:


1. 1950's mohair blanket for sitting on in the sunshine and wrapping around my shoulders after sunset.

2. Loud 1970's Hawaiian maxi dress so I can be easily located if I get separated from the gang.

3. Vintage St Michael nightdress shortened and pimped up with artificial flowers.

4. Neon petal bikini top (as old as I've been clubbing) for when the temperature soars.

5. 1960's suede jerkin, because hippy chic is always festival friendly.

6. Huge 1970's straw sunhat.

7. Oversized cheapo sunglasses (because wearing designer ones in a field is just silly).

8. Groovy Ganesh necklace and an assortment of huge feather and bead earrings.

9. Indian leather money belt to keep valuables safe in the mosh pit.

10. My favourite 1960's red rubber wellies.

11. 1930's parasol (which can double as an umbrella if it rains).

12. Some cheap and cheerful (and comfy) gladiator sandals.

13. Bum skimming hotpants because if it's raining there's nothing worse than wet fabric stuck against your skin for hours.

14. A huge vintage Indian tote bag, essential for carrying my blanket, waterproofs and woollies.

15. My trusty fake leopard coat waterproofed with tent spray for extra showerproof protection.

16. A handmade floral headband - because outrageous festival headgear is an essential.

17. Stacks of cheap and colourful plastic bangles.

(Everything is from charity shops, jumble sales, car boots or eBay)

If it dares to rain I'll be donning my flamingo cape and hat I made from a second-hand shower curtain using a vintage dressmaking pattern.


I'm off to Glastonbury, CamperJam, The Big Chill and the End Of The Road this year. Do pop over and say hello if you spot us.


Thank you Vix for these brilliant festival wardrobe tips! You can find the gorgeous Vix over at Vintage Vixen xx

17 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

I never tire of seeing Vix's fabulous flamingo cape - it is a work of art!

Vix said...

Cheers Lou! It's a year old today! Hurrah! xxx

Jessica said...

Love it! Wish I was that stylish and groovy and not just a scruffy Indie kid!

lucy joy said...

This post deserves to be featured in all the magazines, it knocks all other guides to packing outta the water! Fab photo's, even my OH (who doesn't give a damn about fashion) was impressed!

Anonymous said...

Love End of the Road festival - really wish I was going this year! I'm eyeing up that flamingo poncho and hat: love them! Emma x

Sharon said...

Hi there-wow, Vix is really stylishly geared up for the festivals, fabulous items that are not only gorgeous but very practical too! xx

Tanvi said...

Vix always has the best advice!!! :)

♥ from © tanvii.com

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Great wardrobe choices, I'd never be able to decide what to take if I had a wardrobe as extensive as Vix's! And fab tip on waterproofing the fake fur - send it in to Take a Break!

Rosalind said...

Not only is this great what-to-wear advice, it's packed with festival good-humour AND startling tips: I had NO idea you could waterproof a fake leopard coat with tent spray. How brilliant is that?? I think this is the second time I've seen the flamingo cape. It has to be the best bit of recycling I've ever come across on a style blog. I'd love to see THIS in one of the weekend colour supplements.

Helga said...

Squee!!! Words of wisdom from a woman I trust implicitly!!! Can't go wrong!
XXX

Alex said...

If I ever do make it to a festival, I shall use this as my bible. Although I'm not quite so sure I can get away with bikinis and hotpants - I shall leave them to the lovely thin people like Vix!

Pearl Westwood said...

Great tip about using tent spray on your coat!!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I can never get enough of my Vix fix so it's wonderful to see her here with her festival tips. Always super stylish and practical - thank you darling! Shorts in the rain - brilliant idea!! What a super selection you're taking with you:))) xoxo

Perdita Tinsel said...

Love the cape. So much better than those rank freebee ones they hand out (usually sponsored by some brand you have no interest in) when it rains.

Anonymous said...

These amazing Vix's tips should be apply everyday!! I love the flamingo cape and the pimped up flower dress, they are perfect with the red wellies!!
xoxo

The Style Crone said...

Vix is one of a kind - I would never miss a post! Who wouldn't love to be at a festival to catch sight of her colorful ensembles.

CityScape Skybaby said...

I also love the flamingo print cape and hat, always looking out for blogs like this that have tips on how to look good but still be comfortable when camping etc. and this is one of the best, most useful and fun blogs I've read on the subject.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...