Monday, 30 April 2012

Furoshiki draw-string bag


Here's a secret, I have forever avoided doing one of those 'what's in my bag' posts because it is a mess - full of receipts, train tickets and all sorts of 'just in case' clutter. Which means if I want to take a crafty project out with me,  I need to keep it safe from getting gnarled up in all the other paraphernalia.

Step forward the furoshiki bag. Furoshiki is the Japanese of wrapping things in cloth, either for gifts, decoration or just for everyday use. Beautiful recycling and avoiding unnecessary waste going to landfill - you know these things float my boat. And gorgeous vintage scarfs are perfect.

Here's how to make a bag from your scarf.


1 - Lay out your scarf


 2 & 3 - Tie the adjacent corners together loosely


4 - Tie the corners that are now adjacent to each other together in small tight knots close to the points


You then simply pull the two small knot upwards to form a handle and the loose knots will draw the scarf together in to a bag

The beauty of this is that the scarf in your handbag, you know, the one you keep there just in case, means you will never be without an extra bag - large scarves can become shopping bags, small scarves can hold make up or trinkets. Endless possibilities...

My scarves are from charity shops and the rather amazing Queensland table cloth is from the magnificent Vix. My current travelling crafty project are knitted hexipuffs - I'm obsessed.

How do you use your vintage scarves?

5 comments:

Caroline said...

I bought a lovely scarf from ebay a few weeks ago but it doesn't suit me. I was deciding what to do with it, but you've decided for me. Such a clever idea.

X

Caroline said...

And I'm going to knit some hexipuffs! I've got lots of odd ends. They look fab.

X

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I love this, what a great idea. I have tons of scarves I rarely wear - I will have to try it later x

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. Going to have to have a go at this :) x

Please may I? said...

Such a great idea!

X x

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment and a link to your blog, I'd love to hear from you...